Event Terms and Conditions of Entry
These Event Terms and Conditions of Entry (“Entry Terms”) are designed to enable WestCycle Inc ABN 36 563 134 343 (“WestCycle”) to manage and run the Dams Challenge (the “Event”) smoothly and safely. By registering to participate in the Event, you (the “Rider”) accept and agree to be bound by these Entry Terms.
1. Registration for the Event can be affected only online.
2. The Rider must be aged 16 years or more on the day of the Event to ride in the Event.
3. A Rider under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. A parent or legal guardian must complete an exemption form provided by WestCycle for the rider prior to the event commencing.
4. WestCycle may, in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons for its decision, accept or refuse an application for registration to the Event.
5. The Rider warrants that he/she has prior experience or will obtain prior experience riding in groups and be able to maintain a suitable average speed to complete the event within the cut off times.
Rider fee categories and pricing
6. A WestCycle Member is defined as a person who is a financial member of WestCycle on the day of registering in the Event.
7. A Non-Member is defined as a person who is not a financial member of WestCycle on the day of registering in the Event.
8. Dams Legends pricing is 9:00am 16 November 2022 to 9:00am 17 November 2022.
9. Early Bird (members special price) pricing period is 9:00am 17 November 2022 to 9:00am 24 November 2022.
10. First Release pricing period begins at 9:00am 24 November 2022 until sold out.
11. There will be an automatic increase from first release pricing to second release pricing at 11:59pm (AWST) on 31 December 2022 if this Tier is not reached prior.
12. Second release pricing will start when first release is sold out (or at midnight 1 January 2023, whichever comes sooner).
13. Third release pricing will start when second release pricing is sold out.
Cancellations, refunds and transfers
14. Before registering for the Event carefully review the Event details. WestCycle does not refund registration fees where the Rider decides they no longer wish to attend, or is unable to attend the Event, as a result of any change in personal circumstances including, but not limited to, medical grounds.
15. If the Event takes place then there is no right to a refund, including where a Rider cannot or chooses not to attend because of adverse weather conditions.
16. The Rider may transfer his/her registration for the ride to another Rider. Riders must contact Register Now to complete the transfer on their behalf with an associated administration fee of $10 per transfer. WestCycle will not make transfers on the Riders behalf, they must be actioned directly by Register Now before registrations close.
17. Riders may change their event category prior to registrations closing by contacting Westcycle to complete the transfer. The difference in entry fee must be paid at the time of change, and no refunds will be issued for moving down an event category.
18. If the event does not take place and a rider is entitled to a refund, the refund will be returned to the original rider. It is the responsibility of the transferred Rider to recover any monies from the original Rider.
Closing dates for entries
19. Entry to the Event closes at midnight on Wednesday 5 April 2023
Compliance with laws
20. During the Event, the Rider must comply with all traffic and road laws, all directions issued by Police and all instructions given by WestCycle, its contractors, employees or officials. Failure to do so may result in the Rider being removed from the Event.
21. The Rider must wear an Australian Standards cycling helmet at all times during the Event while riding a bicycle and must ensure that the Rider’s bicycle is in a serviceable and roadworthy condition meeting all traffic and road laws.
22. The Rider must ride in a safe and responsible manner during the Event.
23. At any time before or during an Event, WestCycle may require riders in the Event to comply with standards of riding whether of a general or particular nature, to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants in the Event. Failure to comply with those standards may mean that a Rider will be removed from the Event
24. Riders can register as a ‘member’ which is classified as a WestCycle financial member at the date of registration. By registering as a member you agree to continue your active membership to cover the day of the event to ensure you are covered by the insurance.
25. To receive full personal accident and public liability insurance, sign up to become a WestCycle member via the Dams Challenge Register Now Portal to receive a discounted offer of $119 Ride Premium Membership.
Acknowledgment and waiver
26. The Rider acknowledges and agrees that participation in the Event is inherently dangerous and that he/she participates in the Event at his/her own risk.
27. In consideration of WestCycle permitting the Rider to enter and participate in the Event, the Rider by completing the registration process releases and indemnifies WestCycle, its contractors, employees or agents and sponsors of the Event and any of their respective representatives from and against all and any claims, suits, demands, liabilities, loss and damage (including indirect and consequential loss), costs, expenses and interest, whether under common law or statute, that the Rider may suffer or incur arising from or connected with the Rider’s participation in the Event including as a result of any negligent act or omission, negligence, breach of duty, breach of care or other fault or responsibility of WestCycle, its contractors, employees or agents, sponsors of the event and any of their respective representatives.
28. If you are the parent or guardian for a child you agree to take full and sole responsibility for the child’s safety and participation in the Event.
29. Communications in relation to an Event will be principally by email. The Rider must provide a valid email address.
30. It is the Rider’s responsibility to read all information that is made available on the WestCycle website, in email newsletters, rider guides and any other literature concerning the Event. Please note if you unsubscribe from our mailing list you will need to contact WestCycle at email@example.com to arrange to be re-added to the list and to ensure you receive all the relevant event information.
Preparation, training, health and safety
31. The Rider is responsible for ensuring that he/she has adequately and appropriately prepared both physically and mentally for the Event. If the Rider has any health issues or doubts prior to the Event, he/she should immediately seek appropriate medical advice.
32. If, during the ride, the Rider becomes ill or is injured, WestCycle will endeavour to arrange medical transport, usually in an ambulance. Any medical transport will be at the Rider’s expense. WestCycle recommends that the Rider holds current ambulance service membership and /or health insurance to cover such costs.
33. Where a Rider becomes seriously ill or injured and is unable to ride, the Rider will be considered to no longer be participating in the Event.
34. Where a Rider is either removed from, or chooses to discontinue participation in the Event, the Rider is responsible for their own transport and associated costs.
35. Where a Rider engages the use of the broom wagon (when provided) on two (2) or more occasions, excluding medical or mechanical reasons, the Rider, at the discretion of WestCycle, will be asked to leave the Event.
36. WestCycle will take every effort to take care with your bicycle and accessories in the Broom Wagon but is not responsible for any loss, damage, cost or expense the rider may incur as a result of WestCycle’s handling of your bicycle and accessories.
37. A Rider understands that should they fail to complete the required riding distance within the allotted time frame, as outlined in the rider guide and at the discretion of the WestCycle Event Manager, they will be required to make use of the broom wagon. Should the Rider refuse, they are considered outside of the Event and accept all associated risks.
38. Although mechanical support will be available in some areas of the event, riders should be prepared and bring along the necessary bike tools and equipment to be self-sufficient for the entirety of the event.
Meal and dietary requirements
39. Where catering is provided, WestCycle offers three standard meal types, Vegan, Non-Vegetarian and Vegetarian. If these options do not meet your dietary requirements, WestCycle will try and cater for you, but the participant may have to consider alternate ways in which to personally cater for your own meals.
40. WestCycle cannot facilitate the storage, transport or cooking of self-catered meals.
41. Any special meal option for the Event is provided by WestCycle as a service to the Rider. Every effort is made by WestCycle and the appointed caterers to ensure that recipes and ingredients are controlled.
42. WestCycle and the appointed caterers cannot guarantee that any meal or food item is exactly as described. Contamination by allergens can occur that is beyond the reasonable control of WestCycle and the caterer.
43. It is solely the Rider’s responsibility to carry on them at all times, suitable food and/or medication which may be necessary to treat any particular medical condition that they suffer from.
Ride and route modification
44. WestCycle reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to:
(a) change or vary the route of any of the Event riding options without notice; and
(b) cancel, postpone, reschedule or change the time or place for the Event or any of the ride options for any reason and at any time prior to the commencement of the Event; and WestCycle is not responsible for or liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise and however or where ever incurred by the Rider resulting from any such action taken by WestCycle.
Private support vehicles
45. Private support vehicles are not permitted on the Event without prior approval of the Event Manager.
46. Riders who enter in the event prior to 11:59pm on 31 December 2022 will have the opportunity to purchase a Dams Challenge Jersey at the cost of $89 between 9:00am on Wednesday 16 November 2022 to 9:00am on Thursday 24 November 2022 and $99 between 9:00am on Thursday 24 November 2022 to 11:59pm on 31 December 2022. Bib Knicks can be purchased at the cost of $149. Purchased merchandise will be available for collection at rider registrations in the week leading up to the event.
47. Dams Legends participants will be provided a commemorative cycling cap, unique bike sticker and the choice to purchase a Dams Legends Jersey for $59 (wholesale price). These jerseys will be available prior to 11:59pm on 31 December 2022.
48. Merchandise is custom ordered and sizes cannot be modified after 31 December 2022. We highly recommend you visit the Pedal Mafia store in Subiaco to check your jersey and bib knicks size before entering.
49. It is the rider’s responsibility to ensure that they order the correct size. WestCycle cannot facilitate size exchanges between riders, other kinds of swaps, or returns.
50. WestCycle does not offer refunds on any purchased merchandise.
51. The Rider acknowledges and agrees that he/she may be photographed or filmed during the Event and consents to WestCycle using the Rider’s picture and likeness contained in any photographs or film for publicising the Event and for any future promotional purposes by WestCycle.
52. WestCycle may at its absolute discretion appoint an event photography company to photograph the Event and Riders, the Rider acknowledges and agrees to releasing their name and email address to the appointed event photography company for the purposes of marketing and selling event related photography merchandise.
54. All information remains the property of WestCycle.
55. WestCycle may share your details with its nominated charity partner for the Event.
57. The Event will be held outdoors and may proceed notwithstanding extreme poor weather conditions on the day of the Event. Whether an Event proceeds will be a decision in the sole discretion of WestCycle.
58. WestCycle is not liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind including, but not limited to, refund of entry fees, in the event of poor weather before or during the Event
59. WestCycle reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse to allow the Rider to participate in the Event or to remove the Rider from the Event for breach of these Entry Terms or if it otherwise determines it appropriate to do so.
60. WestCycle is not liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind, including but not limited to, the refund of the entry fee, if the Rider is denied access to or removed from the Event for any reason.
61. WestCycle is not liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind, to their personal belongings including but not limited to items left at the event village, cloak service, bag drop service and lunch stop.
62. No animals are permitted on the Event.
63. The Rider acknowledges that this agreement is governed by and will be construed according to the laws in effect in the State of Western Australia.
Information Regarding COVID-19
64. WestCycle will adhere to the COVID-19 guidelines as directed by the WA State Government at the time of the event. This includes completing the relevant COVID Safety Plan for the time of the event.
65. Postponement or cancellation notices due to COVID-19 will be emailed to all registered riders, posted on the WestCycle Recreation and Transport Facebook page and Dams Challenge Facebook event page.
66. In the event Dams Challenge 2023 is cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions, the following refund options will be offered to registered riders:
(a) Full Refund – 100% entry fee refund
(b) No Refund – Entry fee donated to WestCycle
(c) No Refund – 12 Months WestCycle Ride Individual Membership instead
(d) No Refund – Transfer Entry to Dams Challenge 2024. Please note transferred entries will then fall under the 2024 Terms and Conditions.
Please note that all purchased merchandise will be posted to you in the event Dams Challenge 2023 is cancelled.